Skip to main content

Javascript is currently disabled on your browser. Please enable Javascript for a better experience.

Early Childhood Education

Those who graduate in early childhood education are qualified to teach in preschool settings and are can become licensed to teach kindergarten through third grade. All students gain a broad knowledge in early childhood education subjects and then choose an emphasis to study more thoroughly. Students may choose more than one emphasis, but only one is required.

Students are also required to participate in practicums and field experiences. Utah State’s program in early childhood education is unique in that students have the opportunity to work with children starting their first year in the program rather than waiting until their junior year, which is typical at other universities. By the time students graduate, they will have spent more than 600 hours in eight different practicum experiences.

USU's Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services is ranked 10th in the nation among colleges of education in external research dollars.

Students receive a BS by completing all required courses in the major. To receive a BA, students must also gain proficiency in one or more foreign languages.

Differential Tuition

The Emma Eccles Jones College of Education & Human Services may charge differential tuition for this program. Differential tuition is an added cost per credit for courses in the program. See the last page in the USU Tuition & Fee schedule for more information.

Students who graduate in early childhood education are qualified to teach preschool and to be licensed to teach grades K-3. They can also work in the following areas:

  • Child care
  • Head start
  • Home start
  • Early intervention specialist
  • Child welfare worker

Career Services provides counseling and information on hundreds of job and internship opportunities and even helps students apply and interview.

Select degrees and programs are not available at all Utah State University locations. Please contact a regional campus advisor to verify program availability.